Franconia Notch, NH

Franconia Notch, NH

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Product review- ICS (Instant Combat Shelter) tent

Product review-
ICS(Instant Combat Shelter) tent

This tent has been across the USA and set up in a more diverse range of environments then I can probably name. While its a little heavy at around 6 1/2 lbs, a lot for a single person tent, it is extremely good quality and has never let me down.


The strengths of this tent are extensive and important. First of all, and what I consider the most important, it is very waterproof. I’ve set this tent up in monsoons, swamps and even snowstorms across the country. It was very important to me to know that no matter what, I had a shelter that was going to keep me dry through whatever weather I encountered. The rainfly on this tent is very strong, and blocks whatever hits the tent. The zippers are also waterproof, as well as the walls and flooring. I was never cold in this tent either, I feel it stops wind from blowing through very well. This tent is actually a blackout tent, meaning with everything set up on it, you can have a light or lantern on inside and not be able to see any light coming through from the outside.


It is a very easy quick tent to setup, and was always a breeze to do even at night when I could hardly feel my hands, or see them. The fact that it clips to the tent with buckles made setup much easier and smoother. I came to appreciate the large vestibule the rainfly formed in the back, roomy enough to fit both my Tusk panniers, riding gear and tank bag. This can be accessed from the outside through a zipper, or from inside the tent via a zippered window as well. Inside, the tent fits one person very well, and I have squeezed into it with my girlfriend and I, tho it was a tight fit and shes very small. (5’2: 110lbs). My height of 6’2” didn’t make my head or feet touch the ends, another good fit. It also packs up pretty well, rolling the tent and rainfly around the three sets of poles.



Other small pluses for this tent was its unique and cool shape, its camouflage and its terrific price for a truly strong and weatherproof shelter. I rarely set it up without the rainfly, but the mesh at the top allows a good view to the sky at night as well.

The negative aspects for this shelter is a much smaller list. The only part that ever let down was when a tent pole snapped, the male end breaking off in one of the female rods. Besides that, it is somewhat heavy for a single person tent. Lastly, because of the one “face” that is very square, if the wind hits this, it can shake the tent pretty well.

The ICS was a good buy for my trip across the country on a motorcycle. I would recommend it for anyone doing a similar trip, but for someone looking more for hiking and backpacking, it may be too heavy for your criteria. It is a very strong, roomy tent for one person traveling anywhere and can be relied upon to keep you dry and warm in the 3 seasons. It can certainly withstand the elements! And helps you blend in to hide from those pesky park rangers.

1 comment: